So in my last post I had a pretty good randomly generated island. My next task was to split it up into selectable regions to make the map for my strategy game. As mentioned last month, I ended up not using voronoi cells after all to generate the island; well, I realized that could still be a good approach to generating the map regions, just layered onto the more organic looking island.
Here are a couple examples of the end result:
I may want to make the borders more irregular later, but overall not bad for a prototype! Incidentally, the colors are just random for now in order to test the look: the red and blue regions would be the colors of different empires, while the dotted lines are unexplored regions.
Continue reading “Dividing the Map into Regions”
Since I’m making a light-weight strategy game with a screen size map, I implemented some basic procedural generation techniques to create the random map. I now have fairly nice islands being created randomly; here are three examples:
I probably need to polish it more for the final game (for starters, the beaches imply a scale around an island nation, but I may want more like a continent) but for now I’ll probably leave it like this and move on to other parts of the game. I’m aiming to have a prototype in players’ hands soon so that I can start gathering feedback, and I don’t really need anything more than the island outline for that initial prototype. Plus the publisher of my book just contacted me about possibly doing a 2nd edition, so I may be busy with that soon.
At any rate, here’s how it’s done:
Continue reading “Generating the Island”
I’m pleased to say I’ve started working on a new game! It’s a simplified empire-building strategy game with an rpg-style narrative and quest system. By “simplified empire-building” I mean something like Risk, but my game will procedurally generate both the map and quests. I just started developing the prototype, and here’s a screenshot of the world map so far:
Continue reading “New blog, New game”
I’ve registered this new blog because I’m going to start a new project shortly, and I wanted a place to post updates about what I’m working on. I wrote a couple entries at a shared developer blog and decided I wanted a place of my own.
To kick things off, I’ll just point out some Python scripts I wrote recently, for both Blender and Maya, that export data (JSON or XML format) about all the objects in the scene. This is good for quickie level editing, since the data includes their names and positions:
Dropper (for Maya)
Dropper (for Blender)