Merry day-after-Christmas! There’s not a ton in this update, and I’m more or less continuing the theme of last month’s update: regrouping and setting up my next projects.
Unexpectedly, I seem to be onto yet another new project. I was really intending to get back to my turn-based dungeon crawler (really) but an opportunity came up that I’m jumping on. Specifically, I got to talking with a development partner for some projects we are both interested in working on, so yeah I’m doing that now. Good development partners are hard to find, and while I only just met this guy he seems promising, so I’m giving this the ol’ college try.
Basically, he was asking some questions on reddit about how to go about cloning Car Thief. Well as it happens, I’d been considering a series of lightweight management sims like that. I’m a fan of games like Drugwars and Urban Dead, so those seemed like a good way to make some ad-supported games on mobile. Long story short, that conversation turned into an offer of partnership.
Continue reading “Ch-ch-ch-changes”
So this past month I haven’t worked a ton on my strategy game. I wasn’t just being lazy; I’ve started working on the 2nd edition of Unity in Action! That’ll probably take most of the summer to complete, so in the meantime I probably won’t do much on my game. Which is annoying but that’s life; I didn’t know in just a few months my publisher would be asking for a 2nd edition when I started on my game.
Second, I’ve been looking for and playing simple strategy games for research. I know, haha “research”, but seriously I’ve been making a concerted effort to find other games similar to what I have in mind and/or which will give me new ideas. For example, I learned of Crown and Council, which I really wish I could play directly but it’s PC-only so I’ve watched playthroughs on YouTube. Similarly, I’ve been googling terms like “free web strategy game” and “simple html5 strategy game” to find more examples. There are two in particular I want to talk about:
Continue reading “Working on 2nd edition of my book”
So in my last post I had a pretty good randomly generated island. My next task was to split it up into selectable regions to make the map for my strategy game. As mentioned last month, I ended up not using voronoi cells after all to generate the island; well, I realized that could still be a good approach to generating the map regions, just layered onto the more organic looking island.
Here are a couple examples of the end result:
I may want to make the borders more irregular later, but overall not bad for a prototype! Incidentally, the colors are just random for now in order to test the look: the red and blue regions would be the colors of different empires, while the dotted lines are unexplored regions.
Continue reading “Dividing the Map into Regions”
Since I’m making a light-weight strategy game with a screen size map, I implemented some basic procedural generation techniques to create the random map. I now have fairly nice islands being created randomly; here are three examples:
I probably need to polish it more for the final game (for starters, the beaches imply a scale around an island nation, but I may want more like a continent) but for now I’ll probably leave it like this and move on to other parts of the game. I’m aiming to have a prototype in players’ hands soon so that I can start gathering feedback, and I don’t really need anything more than the island outline for that initial prototype. Plus the publisher of my book just contacted me about possibly doing a 2nd edition, so I may be busy with that soon.
At any rate, here’s how it’s done:
Continue reading “Generating the Island”
I’m pleased to say I’ve started working on a new game! It’s a simplified empire-building strategy game with an rpg-style narrative and quest system. By “simplified empire-building” I mean something like Risk, but my game will procedurally generate both the map and quests. I just started developing the prototype, and here’s a screenshot of the world map so far:
Continue reading “New blog, New game”