So as described in my last post, lately I’ve mostly been working on the second edition of my book. In particular, the one new chapter, about developing a 2D platformer in Unity, is done. Very soon (probably in just two days) it’ll be available through MEAP; my publisher, Manning, does early access while the books are being written.
Besides that though, I’ve been planning to resume developing my own game after the book is finished. Up until a couple weeks ago I had been assuming I would resume working on the strategy game. However, I’ve been gripped by a new idea lately and will probably start developing that instead. I feel bad about abandoning the strategy game because it’s pretty interesting, and will probably pick it up again in the future, but for now the new idea I’ve had has a number of advantages.
In a nutshell, I’m planning to do a very simple first-person dungeon crawler; basically a clone of Shining in the Darkness:
Continue reading “Oops, a new game idea has appeared”
Doing the 2nd edition of Unity in Action mostly involves updating code listings for the latest version of Unity, but my editors and I also decided to add one new chapter. While the majority of feedback from readers has been (thankfully!) very positive, one thing we’ve frequently seen is people wishing there was more content about 2D games. Thus, we decided to add a chapter about developing 2D platform games.
My process for every chapter has been 1) first build the project, then 2) write about what I implemented. So I implemented the shell of a 2D platformer a couple weekends ago, and am now writing the chapter about it. Here is a WebGL build of that project:
(controls explained on that page; left/right move, Space jump)
Continue reading “2D Platformer for My Book”
So this past month I haven’t worked a ton on my strategy game. I wasn’t just being lazy; I’ve started working on the 2nd edition of Unity in Action! That’ll probably take most of the summer to complete, so in the meantime I probably won’t do much on my game. Which is annoying but that’s life; I didn’t know in just a few months my publisher would be asking for a 2nd edition when I started on my game.
Second, I’ve been looking for and playing simple strategy games for research. I know, haha “research”, but seriously I’ve been making a concerted effort to find other games similar to what I have in mind and/or which will give me new ideas. For example, I learned of Crown and Council, which I really wish I could play directly but it’s PC-only so I’ve watched playthroughs on YouTube. Similarly, I’ve been googling terms like “free web strategy game” and “simple html5 strategy game” to find more examples. There are two in particular I want to talk about:
Continue reading “Working on 2nd edition of my book”
So in my last post I had a pretty good randomly generated island. My next task was to split it up into selectable regions to make the map for my strategy game. As mentioned last month, I ended up not using voronoi cells after all to generate the island; well, I realized that could still be a good approach to generating the map regions, just layered onto the more organic looking island.
Here are a couple examples of the end result:
I may want to make the borders more irregular later, but overall not bad for a prototype! Incidentally, the colors are just random for now in order to test the look: the red and blue regions would be the colors of different empires, while the dotted lines are unexplored regions.
Continue reading “Dividing the Map into Regions”
Since I’m making a light-weight strategy game with a screen size map, I implemented some basic procedural generation techniques to create the random map. I now have fairly nice islands being created randomly; here are three examples:
I probably need to polish it more for the final game (for starters, the beaches imply a scale around an island nation, but I may want more like a continent) but for now I’ll probably leave it like this and move on to other parts of the game. I’m aiming to have a prototype in players’ hands soon so that I can start gathering feedback, and I don’t really need anything more than the island outline for that initial prototype. Plus the publisher of my book just contacted me about possibly doing a 2nd edition, so I may be busy with that soon.
At any rate, here’s how it’s done:
Continue reading “Generating the Island”
I’m pleased to say I’ve started working on a new game! It’s a simplified empire-building strategy game with an rpg-style narrative and quest system. By “simplified empire-building” I mean something like Risk, but my game will procedurally generate both the map and quests. I just started developing the prototype, and here’s a screenshot of the world map so far:
Continue reading “New blog, New game”
I’ve registered this new blog because I’m going to start a new project shortly, and I wanted a place to post updates about what I’m working on. I wrote a couple entries at a shared developer blog and decided I wanted a place of my own.
To kick things off, I’ll just point out some Python scripts I wrote recently, for both Blender and Maya, that export data (JSON or XML format) about all the objects in the scene. This is good for quickie level editing, since the data includes their names and positions:
Dropper (for Maya)
Dropper (for Blender)